Child Custody Arrangements Across State Lines

For parents who live in New York and need to set up a custody arrangement with a co-parent who lives in or will soon move to another state, the first step is to work closely with a knowledgeable, empathetic family law attorney. Your lawyer can explain the implications of laws that apply in these complex family situations. You will also benefit from an experienced litigator’s reliable counsel and representation as you head into negotiations, mediation or a trial.

Does your child’s other parent live within commuting distance of New York City, such as the Hudson River? Or do they live far away – perhaps in North Carolina, Florida or Texas?  No matter what the details are, your child’s best interests are the highest priority of any family law court. Legal counsel is essential as you pursue a workable custody and visitation arrangement. Turn to The Law Firm of Poppe & Associates, PLLC, in Manhattan, for clear and effective counsel regarding interstate child custody situations.

About Interstate Custody Cases

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) is an act that assigns child custody cases to the courts of the child’s home state. Under the UCCJEA, the child’s home state is the state in which the child has lived with a parent for six consecutive months before child custody proceedings begin (or since birth if the child is younger than six months old).

If you are engaged in child custody negotiations for your child who may need to cross state lines to see the other parent, it is important to consult with an attorney who is well versed in UCCJEA law. At Poppe & Associates, you will find an attorney with extensive experience handling child custody matters for clients throughout New York City. Kamelia “Mia” Poppe, Esq., is prepared to address the complex issues that arise when your child’s other parent lives in another state.

Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act

Interstate child custody disputes are common in New York, as parents often live in or relocate to New Jersey, Connecticut and neighboring states. In other cases, one parent moves farther away, making child custody negotiations even more complicated but every bit as important.

Whatever state is determined to be the child’s home state under the UCCJEA will retain jurisdiction over the case unless and until it is determined that neither the child nor the child’s parents have a significant connection with that state. In such a case, the state will likely relinquish jurisdiction to the state where the child and at least one parent live.

Get Legal Advice On The Unique Aspects Of Your Family’s Custody Case

No two interstate custody cases are alike. Factors that will have an impact on how straightforward or difficult your case may be include:

  • Proposed relocation of the child, which will affect schooling, friendships and more
  • The logistics involved in the transportation of the child for visitation with the nonprimary custodial parent, considering the distance involved
  • The age and stage of life of your child
  • The ability of the other parent and you to collaborate effectively.

Your child’s best interests trump all other considerations. Living up to this ideal when parents live in different states can be challenging but is certainly not impossible. To determine how the UCCJEA applies to your situation, it is important to consult with an experienced New York child custody lawyer.

Complete our online inquiry form or call 646-665-3903 to arrange a free initial consultation with Mia, the founder and managing partner of Poppe & Associates. She is an experienced New York City family law attorney with a passion for protecting parents’ and children’s rights in challenging custody cases.