New York Attorney For Same-Sex Marriage, Adoption And Divorce
On June 24, 2011, the New York State Legislature passed the Marriage Equality Act. The act, which allows marriage by same-sex couples, went into effect 30 days later on July 24, 2011.
Under this act, state rights, protections, and obligations that heterosexual couples had were then made available to couples of the same sex. From that point on, rights, protections, and obligations were also given to same-sex spouses as long as they remained in New York or another state that recognized same-sex marriages. A few years later, same-sex marriage became legal nationwide.
At The Law Firm of Poppe & Associates, PLLC, New Yorkers can turn to a qualified family law attorney with experience in a full array of legal issues affecting same-sex couples.
Kamelia “Mia” Poppe, Esq., Serves Same-Sex And Heterosexual Couples
Many lawyers have advised LGBTQ clients to call their attorneys before calling their mothers to break the news of a pending marriage. While this sounded like a joke to some people, marriage is not a joke, and the advice reflected the complexities that could arise in same-sex marriages regarding property, child issues and more.
Examples of legal issues of interest to same-sex couples, both before and after same-sex marriage became legal, are the following:
- Prenuptial agreements
- Cohabitation agreements and registration of domestic partnerships for unmarried couples
- Marriage or divorce after a relationship had been registered as a domestic partnership in New York or elsewhere
- Divorce and legal separation, including divorce planning, mediation and litigation
- Contested and uncontested divorce; gray divorce
- Adoption, including stepparent adoptions and adoption associated with surrogacy
- Child custody and support after a separation or divorce
Mia can also advise you on estate planning and other legal issues that may be affected by your marital status as someone with a same-sex spouse.